Change your region Australia

Bookmark and Share Share
Posted Sep 10, 2010 11:37am
Default_user_large

I am male but I have seen for years that female voters are not represented fairly.  Females make up over 50% of the population and it has taken 109 years to elect a female PM.  Is that representative?  I say NO. 

Julia Gillard is an intelligent person and if she doesn't survive for this term of Government I will never see another female PM.  Come on all you intelligent ladies (and men) work for a stable government with a female PM.

You must login to vote for or against this post.

Posted Sep 10, 2010 3:45pm
Default_user_large

My tuppence....this has nothing to do with male/female, like or dislike personalities individually or collectively...thi s is about a dead democracy. My definition of democracy has always been centred around the word "majority" and collectivley if one took the number of people who voted and preferences the numbers stack up for the Coalition. Our system provides for what transpired in the horse deals which is a shame. Be assured  I would argue the same if the opposite happened. The B/S about the media being supportive of the Coalition surprises me! Most print with the exception of the Australian which had a balanced view, were so pro Labour it wasn't funny and in my view the ABC should be buried for being so one-eyed. As for NBN...god help us if that becomes a reality because it will come with the tag of white elephant within a matter of two years....Payback from Windsor and ego from Oakshot carried the day for JG....this will be a very unstable Govt no matter what any of us think and I am so glad personally the poison chalice has been handed down the way it has....perhaps there was a motive for the Democrats....mmm!??

Posted Sep 10, 2010 6:19pm
Rachel_large

Hi Stompie,

"My definition of democracy has always been centred around the word "majority""

Then you need redefine - That isn't how the current system of government works. We use the Westmister System and only get to vote for our local reps who then chose the leader of their party. We do not vote for a PM.

"collectivley if one took the number of people who voted and preferences the numbers stack up for the Coalition"

That's not exactly true either. There are still votes being counted and it's anyones numbers game, likely to come down to tens of thousands, not millions but that's NOT how the system works. If you don't like how the system works, start writing to your local member and pushing for a national referendum to change it.

"The B/S about the media being supportive of the Coalition surprises me! Most print with the exception of the Australian which had a balanced view, were so pro Labour it wasn't funny and in my view the ABC should be buried for being so one-eyed."

It's very common for people who have a strong view to claim things were working against them - this newspaper, that ref or any other of a hundred things. In my eyes many papers were absurdly Liberal leaning - especially the Australian!

Posted Sep 10, 2010 6:59pm
Plainswanderer_large

And when Kim Beazley led a Labor opposition to a 52% primary vote in the 1999 election, did the conservatives cry foul then?

Forum Posts

Join OurPatch, it's free

If it's in our community, it's in OurPatch. Join now – our free membership gives you all this:

• List your business
  • Add your community group
  • Review a business
  • Take part in blogs and forums
  • List your event

Advertise on OurPatch

Are you interested in advertising on OurPatch? Know what your options are. Request information on your advertising options.

Copyright OurPatch 2007-2018 [2.0] Rails 3.2.11