Change your region Australia

Bookmark and Share Share
Posted Aug 27, 2010 1:05pm
Kids_trees0007_large

malleechick - I,  like you,  wonder if "they" will start listening. It has even got my city-fied sisters asking intelligent questions! Best thing that happened to WA rural areas was the Nats being independent and insisting on a percentage of Royalties for regions money be earmarked for rural areas. This was accepted by state Liberal Govt.  (One reason Wilson Tuckey lost was because he was silly enough to criticise it)  Not sure how Tony Crooke can translate R for R to federal situation - as I have to admit that the Labor Feds have been adding some money to the royalities to help develop Ord and Pilbarra. The stubbornness of Tony Abbott and the absence of the Nats from the east being involved in negotiations may be a sign that there is a need for a new look in the politicians who are supposedly representing rural areas. Perhaps all Nats should be independent until such time as they can be assured that the rural areas are receiving sufficent services and opportunity to develop!

Perhaps even to help ease the city congestion - with the proviso that any development doesn't eat up all the good farming land with  housing estates.  But that is another issue. 

You must login to vote for or against this post.

Posted Aug 28, 2010 6:10am
Plainswanderer_large

I've lived in an electorate with a Nationals representative for the whole time that I have lived in NSW. At the Federal level, those representatives have always had quite a social conscience and worked hard to represent the views of the whole, not just the conservative side.

So it always surprises me that they, seemingly blindingly, follow the Liberals into a coalition. There are many times when a coalition with Labor would be a better policy fit.

You must login to vote for or against this post.

Join OurPatch, it's free

If it's in our community, it's in OurPatch. Join now – our free membership gives you all this:

• List your business
  • Add your community group
  • Review a business
  • Take part in blogs and forums
  • List your event

Advertise on OurPatch

Are you interested in advertising on OurPatch? Know what your options are. Request information on your advertising options.

Copyright OurPatch 2007-2018 [2.0] Rails 3.2.11